Orange & Lemon Pear Butter!
This past weekend I spend some time making an amazing Pear Butter with a professional canner. A beautiful older woman who shared some of her secrets from years of canning, walked a bunch of us through the process. It was priceless and as a result, I was able to take some yummy pears that a friend of mine gave me from the trees in his yard, that had an amazing yield this year, and make some Pear Butter for the house.
I sat down and commenced to peeling….and peeling….and peeling.
Placing them in our AMAZING insta-pot, pressure cooker, made the softening time go by crazy fast. Cooking them on the top of the stove normally takes about 30 minutes for me. But, when I put them in the Insta-Pot, it took no time at all. About 5-8 minutes and those babies were done.
Then, from the Insta-Pot, to the food processor to wiz it up and make it into a sauce/butter consistency. Once that was all done, place the sauce into a large pot and cook, adding a few ingredients to make the Orange Pear Butter and Lemon Pear Butter flavor. They turned out AMAZING!
Here are a few tips I learned along the way:
- Wear gloves if you don’t want your hands to be stained or turned brown. Pears can do a job on your nails and leave them looking like you just spent hours digging in the dirt in the backyard.
- Invest in an APPLE PEELER. Hey, anything that helps to cut down the time in this process is worth it.
- Insta-Pots are WORTH EVER PENNY! Not just for the cooking process for the pears, but also just in life’s cooking tasks. If you don’t have one, GET ONE!
- Canning is always much more fun with others. Do this as a project with family, friends, your children, and even your church family. The conversation time is amazing and the taste test along the way are worth it!
It brings me the most amazing feeling to see all this jars of goodies in my pantry. They are like jars of gold! Plus, it bring me joy to know that I took the time to make something for my family that is homemade, not processed with a bunch of additives and preservatives. I know exactly what they are eating because it was made by mommy with love.
I would love to share this amazing recipe with you!
CHUNKY LEMON PEAR BUTTER
5 pounds Pears – (Peeled, cored and diced 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 Cup Water 1 teaspoon almond extract
2 Cups Packed brown Sugar 2 tablespoons Lemon Juice
2 teaspoons Grated Lemon Zest
- Place the pears (peeled, cored and diced) into a large saucepan. Cook over medium heat until soft, about 30 minutes. Or, you can place inside of a Insta-pot, place on pressure cook mode for about 8 minutes, and let cook down.
- When done, place cooked pears into a food processor and/or blender and process down until they reach the consistency you desire.
- Pour contents from food processor and/or blender into a large pot, along with remaining ingredients, and cook over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, until the mixture reaches a thick consistency like butter, about 1 hour.
- Ladle the pear butter into the sterile jars, leaving 1/4 inch headspace. Seal with lids and rings. Process in a hot water bath for about 10 minutes to secure a seal. You can also use your Insta-Pot to can jars as well. See the instructions for canning, located in the instruction booklet for the Insta-Pot.
Thanks for stopping by to visit my blog. Please, click the “FOLLOW” button, located on the upper right sidebar of this blog. When you do, you will be sent to your email, recipes, notifications and updates on some amazing recipes, posts and much more! Also, please feel free to like, and share!